Monday 30 March 2009

Upcoming race: Bangalore Sunfeast 10k

So after a lot of going back and forth, the Sunfeast 10k organizers finally settled on a date (May 31st) and opened up the registrations. I want to run it seriously and am aiming at a sub 50 minute target time -- pace of 5:00 min/KM or 12 KM/H. My current best 10k time stands at 54 minutes 40 seconds.

Now, I want to follow a training plan, but there is a problem. Most 10k training plans which I saw have a very short long run (oxymoron alert!). My conundrum is that I want to run a marathon in August. It will be my first marathon, but like an idiot, I'm not sticking to any training plan. Confident (arrogant?), that if I maintain (or increase) my current weekly mileage and manage to do a 20 miler before the marathon, I can cross the finish line.

So on the one hand I want to train for the 10k and finish with a fast time (well, at least according to my standards), but on the other hand I don't want to risk loosing out on my weekly mileage. Wonder what to do?

But apart from all that, I feel that a 10k would be an enjoyable event for beginner runners and others alike. If you have some running base, go google for some beginner 10k plans and see what fits you.

2 comments:

Tanvir Kazmi said...

So how is your training going for the 10K. Go for a great sub 50 timing! That can potentially translate into a sub two half marathon and a sub 4 full marathon.

Rohit said...

Right now I'm just putting in some tempo runs and intervals during the week.

I have decided to train using the Runner's World intermediate program. It's 5 weeks long, so I haven't started it yet (because there is more than 5 weeks left to the race).

Thanks!